When talking about pets dogs, cats, fish, and hamsters are the most popular pets that come into one’s mind. Reptile pets are also quite popular. This is where Frogs and Toads come into the picture. Pet owners that are into reptiles and want something more unique and easy to handle, the ideal pet is a pet frog or toad.
Frogs and Toads as pets provide a great leaning opportunity for pet enthusiasts that prefer reptile pets. Pet frogs and toads are also one of the cheaper options for pet reptiles. These cute little aquatic creatures are easy to care for.
Frogs and toads in the wild at present are facing exponential decays in population on the road to extinction. Some exotic and rare frogs are being captured for pet trade. This is a major issue at present. So if you are looking to have a frog/toad as a pet make sure they are captive bred locally and tested to be free of disease whenever possible. Avoid capturing wild frogs and keeping them as pets.
In this article we present to you the cutest and most famous frogs and toads that are used as pets. The list will begin with frog species that are easy for beginners to care. This is because each frog or toad is different to each other. It is important beginners pick a suitable species of frog or toad when selecting as a pet.
Difference between Frogs and Toads
Frogs and toads are both amphibians, they are separate families of animals. And while they are similar in many ways, they do have differences, although they are not always clear cut.
A fun yet confusing fact is that all toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads. In terms of scientific classification, both frogs and toads belong to the order Anura, which means “without a tail,” according to Penn State University. Within the order Anura are several families of animals, including Ranidae, which are referred to as true frogs, and Bufonidae, which are referred to as true toads. Other families of frogs and toads exist — for example, tree frogs are a different family of frogs than true frogs — but these are smaller groupings of species, and some are specific to certain regions of the world.
The difference between frogs and toads can be compared based on their skin, legs, shape, spawn and tadpoles. Below is a clear explanation of the frog and toad according to the above criteria.
- Skin – Toads are warty-looking, covered in little lumps and bumps, while frogs are sleek and smooth
- Legs – Frogs have long legs, longer than their head and body, which are made for hopping. Toads, on the other hand, have much shorter legs and prefer to crawl around rather than hop
- Shape – Frogs are lithe and athletic-looking, whereas toads are somewhat squat and dumpy. Their faces are different too; frogs have a pointed nose while toad noses are much broader.
- Spawn – This is another key indicator for which species you’re looking at. Frogspawn is laid in gooey clumps, whereas toad spawn floats in stringy lengths.
- Tadpoles – Like their adult counterparts, frog tadpoles are slimmer whereas toad tadpoles are chunky. Frog tadpoles are also covered in gold flecks, while toad tadpoles are plain black in color.
Now let’s jump into the list of the cutest and most frogs and toads you can have as pets.
1. American Green tree frog ( #1 Frogs as pets )
These cute little frogs are ideal as pets for beginners. They range in size from 1 to 2.5 inches.
2. American bullfrog ( Pet frogs and toads #2)
American bullfrogs also known as Pixie frogs due to their scientific name Pyxicephalus adspersus. These species of frogs are ideal pets as they are very easy going and tolerates handling.
3. Red eyed tree frog (Pet frogs and toads 2021 #3)
There are two species of Red Eyed and both have large red eyes and bright green bodies with orange feet. These frogs have specific care requirements but beginners with attentive care can care for them.
4. Bumble bee walking toad
This species of toad is one of the most famous toad species used as pets. This is one of the best toads for learning husbandry and care.